Dear Decoding Dyslexia Supporters,
At the International Dyslexia Association we are excited about the Decoding Dyslexia movement. Your engagement and activism is helping all of us accomplish more in the cause we share. Over the last few months I have had the privilege of meeting with a group of Decoding Dyslexia members in Virginia and Maryland to hear your concerns and shape a better IDA parent program.
To say thank you, IDA is offering to all Decoding Dyslexia members a free trial parent membership in IDA. All parents who sign up for the free trial membership will receive “Pushing Back: What to Say When Your School Gets It Wrong.” This document, which arose from the stories of Decoding Dyslexia parents, helps you set the record straight when your school is not complying with the law or recommending the wrong strategies for your child.
In addition to receiving this document, IDA membership gives you access to a number of publications.
- Dyslexia Connection: This monthly electronic newsletter for parents focuses on public school advocacy and other issues facing parents with children who have dyslexia and related learning disabilities.
- The Examiner: IDA’s monthly e-newsletter will keep you abreast of happenings at IDA and on dyslexia and literacy-related events around the world.
- Perspectives: IDA’s quarterly, full-color publication, Perspectives on Language and Literacy discusses educational best practices, curriculum methods, case studies and first-person application of multisensory structured language teaching techniques.
- Annals: IDA’s tri-annual Annals of Dyslexia is an interdisciplinary, peer-reviewed journal dedicated to the scientific study of dyslexia and related language disabilities.
- Reading and Writing: Reading and Writing is an interdisciplinary journal containing articles on the processes, acquisition, and loss of reading and writing skills.
- Your IDA membership will also connect you with the IDA Branch closest to your home and you will receive local information, access to workshops and events and full membership in the branch. You will gain access to IDA’s listing of professional service providers in your area.
All this for free. And at the end of August, if you want to continue your parent membership the fee is only $45 per year. So try us out.
Unlike past IDA presidents, I came to IDA, not as a professional but as a parent like you. Beyond my own experience, I have learned so much from my conversations with Decoding Dyslexia parents and these conversations have made me even more determination to bring better reading instruction into America’s classrooms. I also know that we need a stronger voice Decoding Dyslexia inside IDA.
Thank you for all you are doing for the cause we share. I hope that your membership will help us do even more to serve all students with dyslexia.Hal Malchow IDA President
PS: We are also surveying parents and teachers about assistive technologies. You will be able to participate in these surveys and view the results.