WASHINGTON – Today, Congressmen Bill Cassidy, M.D., the Co-Chair of the House Dyslexia Caucus, submitted a resolution calling for the House to acknowledge the impact of dyslexia and urge schools and educational agencies to address its impact on students. Dr. Cassidy released the following statement:
“Dyslexia affects millions of Americans, including many students. We know that many with dyslexia are among our brightest and most successful. If dyslexia is identified in elementary school and the appropriate resources are given to these children, America can produce more teachers, more scientists and more entrepreneurs. This resolution pushes schools and educational agencies to address this challenge and provide evidence-based solutions for dyslexic students.”
by Sally E. Shaywitz, M.D. and Bennett A. Shaywitz, M.D.
- Click here to see their sample letter.
Click here to see which of Ohio’s U.S. Representatives support dyslexia: US House of Reps Ohio
- Find your representative.
- Use GovTrack to track the status of Resolution 456 and click Status & Summary.
- Locate the gold button in the middle of the page to call Congress to voice your support.
- You can log in with facebook, gmail, twitter, or create a login for the GovTrack website.
- Based on your address, the website will provide your Representative and a script of what to say when you call to voice your support. Also, please request that your Representative join the Bipartisan Congressional Dyslexia Caucus.
- Spread the word! The more people that contact their Representatives, the higher the chance the Resolution will pass the committee and be agreed to.
Track this Bill:
- On the Status & Summary page locate the green button in the middle of the page to track this bill.
- You can track this Resolution with daily or weekly emails.
This Resolution can also be viewed at the Library of Congress, search on word/phrase 456 and click on H.RES.456.IH
Want to learn more about the legislative process?